Posted on Leave a comment

Pallet Wood Guitar and Spitfire Clock Update 25 August 2019

Pallet Wood Guitar and Spitfire Clock Update 25 August 2019

Been having a bit of a push to try and get  some “in progress” projects completed. One of these is the Spitfire clock that I have been making for a friend who wants to gift it to someone. The clock face itself was pretty much complete apart from 3 applications of Danish oil and them a few coats of wax to seal it.

Pallet wood Spitfire clock

Then it was just a matter of fitting the clock mechanism and fitting the hands and that was that, job done!

Below is a close up of the Spitfire, it was first traced onto the clock face and then burnt into the wood using a Pyrography pen. 

Moving onto the Long ongoing project, the Pallet Wood Guitar clock. I have been thinking for a while about how I was going to make the frets on the guitar neck. Initially the idea was to cut grooves and insert copper wire as frets. But in the end this was not possible as I couldn’t cut the slots for the frets near the bridge end of the neck.

So I resorted to my found activity of Pyrography to save the day. As you can see in the picture below, the frets and scales have been marked with pencil. So now we are going to use the Pyrography pen to burn the frets and scales into the wood.

using pyro pen to burn frets and scales

Next we turn to the guitar body as the pickups and clock face need to be fitted into place. Below you can see the clock face ready to be fitted. I used epoxy to glue the clock face on to the body, once the glue had set I applied some onto the back of the clock face from behind just to make it very secure.

copper clock face to be glued into guitar body

With the guitar laying flat on its back it was the ideal time to glue the pickups in place, I used wood glue for this.

Once all the glue had set I gave the hole thing a rub down with some fine sandpaper so it was nice and smooth before applying the first coat of Danish oil. The picture below shows the guitar clock prepared and ready for the oil to be applied.

assembled guitar clock ready for finishing

At the time of writing this, the guitar clock has now had three coats of Danish oil applied to it. Tomorrow I hope to start applying the first of three coats of wax.

I mentioned my new found interest of Pyrography earlier, this addition to my “skills” box is proving invaluable. Aside from the projects above which both have Pyrography used in the them, I have also made two signs. One is a practice job, shown below and the other is for a local business. I can’t show you that one yet as the new owner hasn’t seen it yet. I will share it in the near future with you.

pallet wood stuff sign

So there you have it, a quick round up of activities for the last week, the Spitfire clock completed and ready for delivery next week. The Guitar clock should be complete in the next couple of days and then it can be hung on our living room wall.

These project amount to at least one shipping pallet being saved from going to landfill or being burnt and upcycled into something useful.

Posted on Leave a comment

Two New Pallet Wood Clocks Started

two new pallet wood clocks started

Just started a new project yesterday to create two new pallet wood clocks. One is for a birthday present and will feature a Spitfire and the other, featuring a Phaeton Carriage, is for Shalini’s stall at the upcoming Georgian Festival in Stamford on 28th and 29th September 2019.

The image below shows the four prepared planks glued together with another plank from the same pallet for comparison.

Two New Pallet Wood Clocks Startedr

This project also presented a great opportunity to try out my new Triton Planer/Thicknesser machine as I needed to clean up four pallet planks, make them of equal thickness and try to get decent edges for gluing them together.

Two New Pallet Wood Clocks Started